It has a lot of discussion about painting, colors, the right tools to use, the best season and so on. However, nothing can be handier than a guide that lists everything down in the simplest possible manner. DIY enthusiasts often complain about not the lack of information available to them. With different painting suggestions pouring in from left, right and center – it can be easier. Here are some tips, when you take a painting project to do it all by yourself.
Before You Begin: Preparation Work for Painting
- Begin with patching any holes or dents. Be sure that every wet material you have used has been dried totally.
- Also, be sure any cracked paint is scraped away and sand the area smooth.
- You may have some walls that are dirty and you don’t like to be painting on a dusty surface. Of course, we are talking about bathroom or kitchen walls. So before painting, we have to take a cloth and start cleaning.
- Caulk will help fill gaps between walls and trim. For any wood-related issues, you have to use wood filler & wait for it to dry.
- Priming is mostly recommended, particularly on porous surfaces. So you will need a primer if there is any exposed wood involved. Also, some primers are good for glossy surfaces as well.
- After that make sure you stir your paint before you begin. Pour the paint into a roller tray and a bucket to use it by brush.
- Several industry professionals advise using painters tape but most don’t. The way to use it is to apply it in long strips that overlap and press down firmly to be sure you have a smooth line.
What you’ll need: Painting Tools
- Tools that you can expect to use when prepping any typical room: sandpaper, patching knife, and a lint-free rag. caulk that can be painted if
- Tools that you may need during painting a typical room: Paint (obviously), stirring stick, a paint can opener, brushes, a small container for your brushwork, everything related to rollers – roller cover, trays, etc. Painters tape, drop cloth are essentials as well.
- Some individuals like to use 5-in-1 tools – these are nifty little things that can be used to open cans, expose cracks for repair, scrape paint and clean rollers.
Decide On: Paints
- Paint brands are essential and while you have plenty of options to choose from. If you see a color offered by a different brand, you easily can take the color in the brand of your choosing.
- The next question that you may face is – what paint sheen to use? You may want to do a little bit of research on this as there is an appropriate sheen for the type of room. According to the experts, here are some guidelines you can use: flat for most rooms, eggshell for kitchens/bathrooms and a semi-gloss for trim.
- Another type of paints is water-based paint that dries fast and can be cleaned with water.
- Being environmentally conscious is no longer a fad, opt for a zero or low VOC paint if you are worried about harmful chemicals and smells. Check for consumer report recommendations, ask friends, or go to the nearby paint store and ask for paints that won’t harm your internal or external surroundings.
Think about: Painting Techniques
- Painting from dry to wet help, so you can keep the edge wet. This helps to keep the brush and roller marks to the basic.
- Stretching the paint thin won’t help. Neither will painting globs of paint. Both of these will result in a patchy paint job.
- In the way that you hold the brush that will affect the line of painting.
- One of the best ways to go about painting is to first cut in (paint the ceiling, trim and corners with a brush). Once that dries, use a roller for the walls.
- Try to avoid as much as possible the urge to stick your brush into the paint. Dip it about a quarter of an inch, this is better.
- Nowadays even a single coat of paint is acceptable but putting the second one will make it look perfect.
Once You Complete: Cleaning Up After Painting
- Close the lid of the paint can, you don’t want it to dry. If you are between coats, the brush or roller can be kept wet by putting them in a plastic bag or covering tightly with cling wrap.
- The best way to clean your brush is to use dish soap and a comb until the water runs clear. We know that a quality brush will keep a good amount of paint, so squeeze it out gently and while cleaning until the water comes out of it clear. Let the brush dry completely before you reuse.
Some people are naturally skilled at working with their hands and tinkering around the house, others, not so much. So if you want to paint a room or all your house the best choice is JXF Painting Service.
We are ready to complete all you need and desires in a perfect way.