The expense of painting a house has risen in recent years. In fact, if you’re planning to paint your house in Toronto in 2023, you’ve probably heard that the average cost to paint a house interior is around $8700 or more!
But how much does it actually cost to paint your house? And how much extra will you have to pay if you hire a professional instead of doing it yourself?
The Cost of Home Painting
Home painting is one of the easiest methods to improve your space. Whether it is interior painting or exterior painting, it can have a significant impact. There are numerous variables that affect the cost of painting a house. You must consider the state of the rooms you are painting and whether any repairs are needed. Another factor to consider is if you’ll be utilizing latex or oil-based paint. As well as how the overall quality influences the cost of painting a property.
Then there’s the question of whether you should hire professional painters to do the work. Many people stop to consider whether it is worthwhile to pay someone to paint their house. The answer is usually yes, depending on the painting company you choose and what you’re searching for. You’ll want to understand what their average painting cost per square foot is. You should also consider their hourly rate as well as how they compute and estimate the average cost to paint a house. As you can see, there is a lot to talk about when it comes to the average cost to paint a house in 2023, whether you hire house painters or not.
Factors to Consider When Estimating the Cost of House Painting
When estimating the average cost to paint a house, there are several things to consider. We’ve put together a list of some of the factors to consider concerning the expense of painting a house right from the start. Consider all of these factors, especially if you’re using painting services or professional painters.
- Have you recently bought a new home or are you looking to sell? It’s an advantage if your house is relatively empty of furniture and there’s not much to move around prior to interior painting.
- How do your walls look right now? Is a significant amount of prep work required, such as drywall repair or sanding, filling, caulking, or plaster repair? The price of painting a house will take it into account as well.
- What kind of paint was used previously? Painting over cheap, low-quality paint with a high-quality brand, such as Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams, may necessitate additional time and layers.
- Are you looking to go from dark to light interior paint colors? This also has an impact on how many coats are required and the amount of prep work required.
How to Calculate Paint Costs
When it comes to how much do house painters charge, many people are curious about the estimations.
They are curious in how they are calculated and how they arrive at the average cost to paint a house.
For professional painters, there are a few factors to consider.
- First and foremost, you should hire a professional painting company that has been providing interior painting services for many years. The expert paint estimator should have business knowledge in the sector of painting services.
- Second, they must precisely measure and document square footage for your interior painting requirements. They will be able to calculate the cost of interior painting per square foot properly.
- They will also need to consider any necessary repair work. They must also include any painting charges for trims, doors, and baseboards.
- They’ll also need to consider how long it takes a painter to paint a house. The number of hours required to accomplish the painting service will most likely be multiplied by the hourly fee for the company’s painters. This typically includes the professional painter’s salary, overhead fees, and possibly the net profit for the painting project.
- When determining the cost of painting a house, the professional estimator will take into consideration the expenses of all painting products.
Interior Painting Cost Per Square Foot
Your interior painting cost per square foot calculator has been adjusted to reflect the following general guidelines that we have provided for you:
- The typical painting cost per square foot is usually $2 – $3 CAD Plus HST for paint.
- Many people ask how much it costs to paint a 1200 sq ft house. If you do the math correctly, it will most likely cost you between $3,000 and $5,000 CAD Plus HST. And the pricing per square foot to paint a 1200 square foot home is roughly $2.5- $3 CAD + HST.
- They also ask about the cost of painting a 2000 sq ft Toronto property. The price usually ranges between $7,000 and $9,000 CAD + HST. Moreover, the cost per square foot to paint a 2000 square foot house is roughly $2.25 to $3 CAD + HST.
- For interior painting only, the average cost is $4,000 – $5,000 CAD + HST. Interior painting for two floors of a house ranges between $5,000 and $10,000 CAD + HST.
- The basic cost for trims and doors, including baseboards, door and window frames, is $700 – $1,200 CAD + HST. Typically, this consists of two coats of fine white paint.
- For ceilings that don’t require any special treatment, the average cost for ceiling painting is $1,000 – $1,300 CAD + HST.
- Common size A typical Toronto home includes 3 to 4 closets. Each can cost between $75 and $125 CAD + HST.
- The average cost of French Doors is $300 CAD + HST.
How Much Does It Cost to Paint a House: Specific Rooms
As previously said, the average cost to paint a house by professional painters varies owing to a number of critical criteria.
However, the average size Toronto home will cost between $4,000 and $5,000 CAD + HST.
Let’s take it a step further and speak about specific rooms as well as the average cost of painting a house.
We want to be able to properly answer the question: How much does it cost to paint a 2000 square foot house?
- Hallways: For a typical Toronto home (about 1,500 square feet), the cost to paint a hallway runs from $1,000 to $1,500 CAD + HST. If you have a larger hallway that adds a lot of space and has a lot of trim work, the cost ranges from $3,000 to $4,000 CAD + HST.
- The spaces of your home where people tend to congregate are usually fairly comparable in size. We’re talking about living rooms, dining rooms, dens, and kitchens. Depending on the size and square footage of the room, the typical painting expense ranges from $400 to $500 CAD + HST. It tops out at $800 – $900 CAD + HST for larger venues.
- Bathrooms: The average cost for painting a modest bathroom is $250 – $300 CAD + HST. Larger bathrooms typically cost $400 – $500 CAD + HST.
- Bedrooms: Depending on the size, the price for your home’s coziest room can vary. For smaller bedrooms, hiring a home painting service will cost you between $400 and $500 CAD + HST. For master bedrooms, the price ranges between $700 and $800 CAD + HST.
How Much Does Paint Cost?
When it comes to interior paints and how much they cost, there are a few things to consider. Professional painters will be able to identify the precise type of paint and the typical price per square foot. Here are some things to consider when deciding between latex and oil-based paint.
- Latex paint: Latex paint is the most commonly used for interior painting in the home. This interior paint is easy to apply and dries quickly. This makes it great for doing two coats in a large space. Furthermore, when comparing latex vs oil-based paint, latex paint is more environmentally friendly. Most high-quality interior paints contain low or even zero VOCs.
- The price of latex paint varies depending on the brand you use. However, the average cost of latex paint is between $35 and $80 per gallon.
- Oil-based paint: Oil-based paint is less common in Canadian retailers since it contains higher VOCs. However, it can be useful for interior painting in high moisture and humid areas such as bathrooms and kitchens. Furthermore, oil-based paint performs admirably in high-traffic areas such as trims and baseboards. True, oil-based paints require more time to cure.
- Oil-based paints are typically priced similarly to latex paints. Oil-based paints can range in price from $25 to $70 per gallon.
How Much Does Exterior House Painting Cost in Canada?
A house’s exterior painting usually costs between $4,000 and $9,000 CAD + HST. This may appear to be a lot of money at first glance, but it is crucial to understand that painting the exterior of your home will most likely be one of the most expensive jobs you will ever undertake. This is due to the fact that it is the most visible aspect of your home. The painting will also last for many years, so you can be confident that it is a good investment.
Estimated costs for exterior house painting
- Small exterior painting job: $2,000 to $4,000 + HST
- Medium exterior painting job: $4,000 to $8,000 + HST
- Large exterior painting job: $8,000 to $10,000 + HST
- XL exterior painting job: $12,000 to $30,000 + HST
Home painting renovations can be a terrific way to bring fresh life into your home while also increasing its value and aesthetic appeal. However, it can also be a highly expensive project. The high initial expenses of renovations are frequently offset by the increased resale value that comes with updating your property. Renovations might be worthwhile to think about if you want to sell your house soon.